Here is one of my absolute favourite dessert recipes that’s actually not too bad for you! This chocolate banana pie is gluten free and the best thing is because you know what your putting into it, it has no additives or preservatives. Bananas are great for your skin, they act like natures botox by firming your skin with all their vitamins and minerals!
- 1 ½ cups almond meal
- 5 large medjool dates, finely chopped
- large pinch of fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 small, ripe bananas, cut into pieces
- 5 large medjool dates, chopped
- 1 cup light, unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powdered – sifted
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 60 grams dark chocolate – chopped or shaved with a vegetable peeler
- Preheat oven to 180 °c (160°c fan forced). Spray a 9 inch pie plate with gluten-free, non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the crust by combining almond meal, dates and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the dates and almond meal are well combined.
- Add the oil and process until the mixture starts to come together like a dough. If the mixture is too dry add some more oil, a few drops at a time.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust has browned, it may seem soft but it will harden up as it cools. Let cool completely.
- Prepare the filling by combining the bananas, dates, coconut milk, cocoa powder and vanilla in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust, top with sliced almonds and chopped or shaved chocolate.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours. It can be made 1-2 days ahead.
- Half an hour before serving, remove from freezer, take off plastic wrap and let set at room temperature until soft enough to cut. Slice and serve immediately.